Cemetery & Memory Wall
The first interment in the Chaffey Cemetery was that of Joseph Poole, father of Mary Ann Chaffey. Mary Ann’s first husband Samuel Chaffey is also buried here. He died of malaria in 1827 and was buried here as was Mary Ann who died in 1888. In August, 1828, malaria affected the construction workers at Chaffey’s and 11 labourers were quickly buried in the Chaffey Cemetery. About 80 people lie under the unmarked stones, including local families and canal labourers – many far from their homes in Ireland and England - who died over the four year construction period. A few burials occurred during the 20th Century, including the two Simmons Brothers. Both are descendants of James Simmons who was killed in a rock cut blast while building the canal. The Memory Wall, built of lock stones, contain plaques that provide a social history of Chaffey’s in later years. Commemorated are year-round and summer residents.