In the late 19th century Lockmaster William Henry Fleming bought property from the Crown, which included a house possibly built for a tenant miller. Shortly thereafter, William Laishley purchased the house and, planning a resort, added a wing. He called his establishment the Idylwild. In 1902 it boasted accommodation for 40 guests with a large dining room and cool verandahs. In 1904 Laishley sold it to a group from Youngstown, Ohio who renamed it the Opinicon Club. The hotel operated as a private club until 1921, when it was taken over by William Phillips, a Pennsylvanian. Its location on fish-rich Opinicon Lake – created when the Rideau Canal was constructed – made the home a draw for fishing enthusiasts and tourists. It remained with his descendants until 2015, when it was purchased by Fiona McKean, who has carefully restored and updated the site.