Lockmaster's House Museum
Built in 1844 as a defensible lockmaster’s house to defend the canal against American-based raiders, the Lockmaster’s house was originally a one story sandstone structure. It had a tin roof, two stone porches and gun slits to provide defense in case of an attack. The house was occupied continuously from 1844 to 1967, by only 5 lockmasters. In 1894, it was renovated and a clapboard second story and a kitchen addition were added. When William Henry Fleming was lockmaster the house had the only phone in Chaffey’s and also housed the local Post Office. Last occupied in 1967, the house was renovated to become a museum as a 150th anniversary project in 1982. The museum is operated by the Chaffey’s Lock and Area Heritage Society.