Fernbrae was built in 1897 to house the mill operator. It replaced an earlier home in a different location. Later it was expanded, and photos from the 1930s show the house with a central chimney and two open porches. For years it functioned as a boarding house, operated by Jenny Laishley. In 1977 the Opinicon purchased the house to use as lodging for guests. Sold separately from the Opinicon in 2015, it is now a private residence.